Suffering of others and Fostering Gratitude
TW: Just
some thoughts here and how it helps me to deal with my own:
I have been
trying more and more to focus on those who have struggles which I don't have;
whose struggles are daily, constant and more severe than I personally have ever
faced. This focus on others (whose struggles are far more difficult than my
own) is giving me a lot to think about, about how I am in particular, how I
cope with my struggles and about the world and it's workings in general.
The ongoing
wars with people in jail for years and years on end (while I sit in the
comfort of my home with my family) and I wonder what is going on in their
minds, how are they coping, how are their family members coping to be away from
their loved ones?
The ongoing
wars with people losing their entire families in one go or their loved ones, or
losing their limbs etc (while I still have my loved ones beside me) and
I wonder what is going on in their minds, how are they coping?
People with
various debilitating, long lasting diseases and sickness (while I do not
have such sickness to such point of worry for now) and I wonder what
is going on in their minds, how are they coping?
Low income
earners who struggle every single day to earn, elderly men and woman doing
physically hard work to survive each (while I do not have to worry
about such for now) and I wonder what is going on in their minds, how
are they coping?
People who
don't ask any help from
others and yet they are struggling and I wonder what is going on in their
minds, how are they coping?
People
suffering from abuse of all kinds (while I am not) and I wonder what is
going on in their minds, how are they coping?
People suffering and they cope in different ways, some through God, others through other means and some others don't really cope well. I guess the lesson for me is to realise how much blessed I am every single day I am breathing and how lightly I take my blessings to be. It never does lessen my struggles for sure. But perhaps in looking at others in far more difficult situations than me makes me feel thankful for the tremendous blessings in my life, that I am not going through what they are and I also need to them help whoever I can, however I can, be it with a good word, efforts by hand, donations of cloth, food, money and other means as possible.
Comments